Our client in the Riverdale, MI area is looking for an experienced Lab Manager to work in the cannabis industry! The laboratory manager is essential to ensuring the overall implementation of the quality management system. The lab manager has full responsibility to ensure no laboratory personnel performs any laboratory function, including training others without appropriate proficiency and authorization. Further, the primary responsibility of the lab manager is to ensure all personnel are familiar with and implement all facets of their respective jobs including quality control processes and general technical operations. This position requires keen attention to detail, thorough understanding of ISO/IEC 17025, and thorough understanding of all our client’s Laboratory operations. Professional integrity, customer confidentiality, and laboratory confidentiality must be held to the highest caliber.
As a member of the management team, intimate interpersonal relationships are discouraged. In the event an intimate relationship develops between the Laboratory Manager and any other of our client’s employee or customer, each employee is required to immediately disclose the relationship to the Operations Director who will assess any degree of risk to the laboratory operations. If a risk to impartiality or other risk to laboratory operations exists as a result of the intimate relationship, the Executive Management Team may require reassignment of duties or possibly the resignation of one or more of the parties.
Education & Experience:
(1) BA/BS and 4-years of paid laboratory experience including at least 1-years working in a quality assurance department/division of an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory. Requires previous management experience with Quality Assurance and Risk Management processes; or
(2) MA/MS and 2- years relevant laboratory experience, including 1 year working in a quality assurance department/division of an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory, preferably with previous management experience in Quality Assurance and Risk Management processes.
Upon request, must pass a criminal background check prior to and periodically throughout employment.
Must be a licensed driver with no history of Driving While Intoxicated, Driving Under the Influence, or other history relative to reckless driving.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Must work collaboratively with colleagues and customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Policies and Procedures:
· Learn and apply the quality management system which is in accord with ISO/IEC 17025 and state regulatory requirements.
· Must demonstrate competence prior to independently performing any job duty.
· Maintain a safe environment in which employees are protected from physical, chemical and biological hazards.
· Must demonstrate competence for all Laboratory Analyst I, II, III within 60 days of start date.
Sample Handling & Analysis:
· Sample Intake & Accession
· Sample Homogenization by mechanical or manual pulverization
· Sample Weighing
· Sample Batching
· Foreign Material Testing
· Water Activity
· Field Sampling
· All sample preparation methods
Allocation of Staff Resources & Workflow:
· Ensure adequately trained and authorized staff are available to cover customer tests
· Work with Team Leaders to ensure adequate staffing/coverage
· Ensure workflow moves without interruption
· Prioritize customer sample processing as needed
· Interface with our client’s Sales Team regarding customer samples and/or test results
· Monitor the sample triage area
· Maintain open communication with all personnel and facilitate problem-solving
· Ensure all technical records are maintained as per procedures
· Investigate customer complaints, as directed
· Assist with technical and management system internal audits
· Contribute to Management Review preparations
· Ensure all environmental conditions are met each day
· Participate in customer service activities, such as questions, concerns, complaints.
· Ensure no instruments/equipment are used unless current calibrations are in place.
· With the Quality Assurance Manager:
o Maintain the Staff Competency/Staff Training Logs; ensure all records are current and available
o Maintain the Laboratory Equipment List
o Maintain current vendor approvals
Performs other duties as assigned
· Supervise and establish annual performance evaluations for Analysts I, II, III
· Order supplies, as directed
· Performs other duties as assigned
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Work is performed in a laboratory environment and may require use of personal protection equipment to limit exposure to chemicals or other hazards found within a laboratory environment.
· There are frequent contacts and interruptions during the day.
· The work environment will expose employee to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration.
· The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
· For security purposes there are cameras located throughout the laboratory except in restrooms and change rooms.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
· The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- 8 hr shifts
- 10 hr shifts
- BA/BS and 4-years of paid laboratory experience including at least 1-years working in a quality assurance department/division of an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory. Requires previous management experience with Quality Assurance and Risk Management processes
- MA/MS and 2- years relevant laboratory experience, including 1 year working in a quality assurance department/division of an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory, preferably with previous management experience in Quality Assurance and Risk Management processes.
- Must pass criminal background check prior to and periodically throughout employment.